1/16th Jenny Canuck

Memories of Flight School

by John Reid

Part 3

After building the upper and lower wings I decided that I needed a change of pace so I started to work on the five pilot figures. The figures are all Model Cellar productions. The only figure that required some minor changes was the barnstormer which was originally a Red Baron figure. The fit of the various parts is excellent. I pinned and epoxy glued everything together with only a minium of filler around some of the joints. I use Jo Sonja paint on my figures as it dries absolutely flat. You can add your own varnish to the paint mix and obtain the exact amount of shine that you require. If the figure gets too shiny you can wash thin coats of paint over top and tone down the shine. I used the Time-Life book, Knights of the Air as my primary reference for the uniforms. The heads I am painting separately as I want to attaché them at the correct angle when their relative positions to each other is decided.

THE HANGAR

Originally I was going to build a hangar modeled after the WW1 era hangars at Camp Borden in Ontario. I decided however, that to do a good job I would have to travel there and take numerous measurements if I wanted to be historically correct and then it still would not fit into my storyline of the barnstormer era hangar. In doing some further research I came upon a painting of the Toronto Flying Club hangar of 1938 which I thought must represent the era pretty well…..it is a white wooden hangar with a peaked black and white checkerboard roof which appealed to me.

The interior will be from my imagination based upon a youth misspent hanging around airports. I plan to do an unheated hangar as we used to have here in Canada with an interior heated walled off workshop. I think that I will return to the model railroad type lighting arrangement as I can forsee a lot of nice lighting effects through the interior workshop windows etc…I was going to use foamboard as a mockup for a wooden hangar but after I got it built and all the measurements made I decided because the hangar was going to be a more permanent type structure ,unlike my previous hangars which were little more than sheds or barns, that I would revise my building methods and use the foamboard as part of the internal structure.

Because I didn't see any need for special effects like light shining through the cracks in the boards I decided that I would sheath the interior with tongue depressors and the exterior with coffee stir sticks. I glued the basic wall structure to the foamboard and built it up piece by piece. It is very simple and easy to do and you can make changes as you go along with an exacto knife. Just cut the windows and doors in the foamboard and frame around the openings. I pre-assembled nine roof trusses and laid them on top of the walls.

The next step will be to weather the trusses and finish framing the walls. The tongue depressor floor has already been weathered and is attached to a solid pine base .I have glued everything together this time as I got tired of breaking drill bits on pins and nails.

The floor is laid as in my previous hangars except I used a grafite pencil to represent the nail heads. I think that it looks better and is more in scale. Well that is where I am to date. If everything goes well I will have the basic hangar finished by the end of the summer which will give me the long Canadian winter to finish the Canuck. I have obtained (as an offer I couldn't refuse) a second Model Expo Jenny kit that I plan to build as a JN4c basketcase being robbed for parts. The various disassembled parts will be lying around the hangar or shown in storage in various states of disrepair. I plan to show most of the areas where the two versions differ. It should make for an interesting diorama when it is finally finished.

Part 3

John Reid 2004