Panda 1/35 UH-1N
By Patrick Najmulski
A few years back (and after about a 10 year hiatus from building), I decided to jump back into the hobby. Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to tackle the (horrible) Panda 1/35 UH-1N. I had daily access to the real thing, so coming up with reference material wasn't a problem. Long list of fixes on the aircraft, here goes:
- Stole much of the main rotor gearbox, drive shaft, tail rotor and main rotor parts from the MRC UH-1C gunship
- Converted it from a "stab bar" Huey to SCAS (no stab bar)
- Sanded most of the HUGE rivets off and replaced with Archer Transfer rivets
- Used Cobra Company's UH-1N update, as well as part of their weapons set
- Scratchbuilt the tail boom mounted chaff/flare dispenser housings (dispensers were stolen from the 1/35 AH-1W)
- Scratchbuilt the IDAS mounts (Improved Defensive Armament System) for the rocket pod and crew served weapons. Mainly paperclip wire and plastic sheet.
- Rebuilt cabin interior to reflect absence of soundproof lining.
- Used Floyd Werner's EXCELLENT auxiliary fuel bladder inside.
- Stole many parts from the 1/35 OH-58D Kiowa, including the "disco ball" jammer.
- FLIR used from 1/35 MH-60.
- Legend Productions M134 minigun to depict the GAU-17.
- AMS Resin intake/exhaust covers.
- Removed/replaced the mesh engine screens.
- Scratchbuilt the 42 degree gearbox cover at the base of the tail, replacing the solid kit part with mesh screen and a scratchbuilt tail rotor drive shaft underneath.
- Scratchbuilt wirestrike guides on the windscreen with wire and plastic sheet.
- Maketar masks were used to spray most of the markings.
The aircraft depicted (BuNo 159202) was the first Huey I ever crewed, and I depicted her on the day of that flight.
© Patrick Najmulski 2015
This article was published on Sunday, January 18 2015; Last modified on Sunday, January 18 2015